Before Moving

Places To Notify

Let the Post Office know when you’ll be moving and what your new address will be; a temporary forwarding address might be necessary if you do not have a permanent one by the time you move. As an alternative, the post office will hold your mail and forward it upon written instructions from you.

If you want to rent a post office box in the new city, you must do so in person. All post office box rentals are for a minimum of six months. First-class mail is forwarded free of charge for one year.

Magazines and Newspapers are forwarded for 60 days. Standard Mail (B), formerly called fourth-class/parcel post, is forwarded locally for 12 months at no charge. You pay forwarding charges if you move outside the local area.

Only one change-of-address card (Form is 3575) is necessary per family if everyone in the household is moving and if all people have the same last name. For other cases, one change-of-address card per person can be used. Mover’s Guides, which contain Form 3575,. are available at your local post office, from your postal carrier, or via the Internet at Use the postcards included in the Mover’s Guide to notify your correspondents of your new mailing address. Publishing companies prefer at least four weeks’ notice — preferably six. Early notification of your new, complete mailing address, including ZIP code, can avoid.postage-due costs and eliminate the delayed receipt of your magazines and other publications.

Prepare a list of friends, relatives, business firms and others who should be notified of your move.

The following checklists will be helpful:

Places to Notify


  • Electric
  • Gas
  • Water
  • Telephone
  • Fuel
  • Sewer District
  • Trash
  • Cable/Satellite Television


  • Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Certified Public Accountant
  • Lawyer
  • Broker


  • Life
  • Fire
  • Auto
  • Home
  • Health
  • Accident
  • Hospital


  • Dry cleaner
  • Bakery
  • Drug Store
  • Diaper Service
  • Department Stores
  • Water Softener Service
  • Lawn Service
  • Dairy
  • Laundry/Dry Cleaner
  • Banks
  • Credit Card Companies
  • Automobile Agency
  • Real Estate Agency


  • Newspaper
  • Magazines
  • Newsletters
  • Professional


  • Library
  • City Hall – Refuse Services
  • City and/or County Tax Assesor
  • State Motor Vehicle Bureau
  • Social Security Administration
  • Veterans Administration
  • Draft Board


  • Relatives and Friends
  • Business Associates
  • Book, Video, CD Clubs
  • Other Organizations and Clubs
  • School and Colleges
  • Landlord (if you are a tenant)
  • Tenant (if you are a landlord)
  • Church